So myself and my lovely partner decided to read five of each others favourite books. Which is a lovely idea, but it has been hellish to decide which to pick. I love too many books for too many reasons. Anyway here is my list:
- A short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I chose this as it represents my constant yearning to understand as much about everything as possible.
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. This book is a go to favourite mine. It has computers, and space and strange new culture, and rebellion. Its a book where the terrorists are the goodies.
- Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett. This is here, as it my favourite Terry Pratchett. It is funny, and unpredictable, and you will be changed by it before you even know it.
- Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Like everything Kurt writes, it is bizarre and absurd, and will lie to you to teach you the truth.
- The Player of Games by Iain M Banks. A wonderful introduction to the writing of Iain banks. The characters, the twists, the cunning….
It was a difficult list to put together, the books that are most important to us often contain a little of our soul. Its hard to only share five, of hundreds of books and novels that have changed you or even just thrilled you and made you happy. I have also tried to pick books Ellie will enjoy, there is no point making her suffer though a book I love, just because I love it, I would like her to enjoy it to.
Near misses for the list included (Ellie you may request a swap for any of these)
- Speaker for the dead.
- Rendezvous with rama
- The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- The name of the wind
- The use of weapons.
- The drawing of the three /wizard and glass
- Surely you a joking Mr Feynman
- Dirk gentlys holistic detective agency.
Ellie has now given me her list:
- The Reef by Nora Roberts
- Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan
- The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseni
- The Girl who saved the king of Sweden by Jonas Johassor
- Persuasion by Jane Austen